A TRAFFIC REPORT EVERYONE FEELS GOOD ABOUT
RFID enabled vehicle identification solution is helping the Finnish Road Administration to protect the rights of professional drivers and community residents on Hailuoto Island.
The Finnish Road Administration is responsible for car ferry traffic to and from Hailuoto Island, Finland, in the northern Baltic Sea.
Large numbers of travellers illegally access the priority driving lane to the area’s ferries. The lane is reserved for professional drivers and local residents, but the Finnish Road Administration lacks the manpower to check permits.
- SMARTRAC supplied DogBone™ UHF RFID tags for the vehicle identification pilot.
- Eligible drivers received RFID-enabled licences which they hold up to RFID readers when boarding the ferry to gain access to the priority lane.
- Traffic lights in the priority lane are controlled by automated RFID readers at embarkation and disembarkation.
- Thanks to the RFID enabled vehicle identification solution administrators can monitor ferry traffic in real-time and from any location via a web browser.
- Access control to the ferry has significantly improved.
- Professional drivers and community residents are no longer unfairly disadvantaged by other’s actions.