Blog from: 09 June 2017
Better be good: SMARTRAC supports the “UN Global Compact” Initiative
By Kristopher Hinz, Operational Excellence at SMARTRAC Technology Group.
Joining the UN Global Compact is perfectly logical, because in recent years Smartrac has made considerable efforts in terms of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). So joining the UN Global Compact fits into the picture since it is a voluntary initiative that aims to implement universal sustainability principles and to take steps to support UN goals. The UN Global Compact is “a call for companies to align strategies and operations with universal principles on human rights, labor, the environment and anti-corruption, and take actions that advance societal goals.”
Joining the UN Global Compact is also reasonable, since the corporate sustainability initiative’s “Ten Principles” in the areas of human rights, labor, the environment and anti-corruption aim to create a better world. They signal a company’s intention to:
- support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights;
- make sure they are not complicit in human rights abuses;
- uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- eliminate all forms of forced and compulsory labor;
- abolish child labor;
- fight discrimination in respect of employment and occupation;
- support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility;
- encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies;
- work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery
UN Global Compact businesses also support their own long-term sustainable success as socially responsible companies.
I am sure to be in complete agreement with our Management when I say that these principles should seem rather self-evident for, let’s say, “civilized” companies.
That particularly applies to the environment-related principles, where our customers are similarly placing more and more value on environmentally friendly products. Of course, Smartrac complies with all globally relevant standards, but it will definitely not rest on its previous achievements. To cope with and even exceed our customers’ expectations, we will instead make every effort to be the pacesetter for environmentally friendly RFID products, and to create solutions that can help to reduce any environmental impact.
This is exactly what we at Smartrac share with our employees on the occasion of joining the UN Global Compact, and this is what we are going to implement in the months and years to come in our day-to-day business: because it is logical and reasonable.
“Communication on Progress”
As a member of the UN Global Compact initiative, we have created a “Communication on Progress” (COP) report, which describes how our employees and business partners demonstrate leadership and excellence with respect to the ten principles. We invite all our stakeholders to take a closer look at the report.