RFID ENABLES A NEW LEVEL OF ACCURACY IN WAREHOUSE
Toshiba is using RFID to revolutionize its warehouse management.
Toshiba Europe GmbH is part of the global Toshiba Corporation conglomerate based in Tokyo. Toshiba Europe handles the customer-specific configuration of every TOSHIBA laptop destined for the EMEA region.
The company sought new tools to cope with peaks in demand. Conventional solutions like hiring additional staff or building extra storage capacity weren’t realistic due to their high cost and limited scalability.
- The production at Regensburg receives components, assembles the laptops and applies RFID tags to identify every unit for internal processing.
- Each corrugated laptop box is now fitted with a paper-faced ShortDipole™ RFID tag for pallet reads at a distance of two to three metres.
- The broadband RFID antenna design enables consistently high levels of performance in all UHF frequency regions worldwide.
- RFID was considered to offer the best opportunity to optimize the plant’s supply chain thanks to the automation it offered and the benefit of insights provided by real-time data.
- Since the start of the project, the daily throughput at the warehouse has risen from 9,500 units a day to 17,300 – that’s an increase of 81 percent!
- Thanks to RFID pallet handling time has reduced by 75 percent, and the booking cost per unit has decreased by 40 percent.
- The initial RFID read accuracy now stands at an impressive 99.97 percent.