RFID PROVIDES A LEAP-AHEAD ADVANTAGE
RFID solution is helping DePuy Orthopaedics to streamline inventory processing.
US-based DePuy Orthopaedics, part of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies, is a leading provider of orthopaedic implants to preeminent surgeons worldwide.
Every day, DePuy Orthopaedics gets hundreds of calls from hospitals and clinics requesting same-day shipment. In addition, every day hundreds of loaned inventory sets return, requiring rapid replenishment and reshipment.
- DePuy Orthopaedics used an end-to-end RFID solution which employs DogBone™ UHF tags from SMARTRAC.
- Instead of scanning boxed items individually, workers now replenish Express Care sets and load completed sets onto a conveyor belt in an RFID-scanned tunnel.
- Boxed items and completed sets are RFID-tagged, making it easy to verify orders prior to shipment.
- Processing time for each set was reduced from between 10 and 30 minutes to less than one minute, thanks to RFID.
- SMARTRAC solution gives DePuy Orthopaedics reliability and scalability under challenging conditions.
- RFID is allowing DePuy to get a jump on inventory management, improving its efficiency and customer service and monitor expiration dates for sterile products.