RFID’S ABILITY TO DRIVE RESULTS IN SAVES LEADING STAINLESS-STEEL MANUFACTURER A BUNDLE
With RFID inventory management is no longer heavy lifting for global stainless-steel manufacturer Viraj Profiles Ltd
Viraj Profiles Ltd., a fully integrated producer of stainless steel profiles, exports its products to 80 countries around the globe.
Viraj Profiles Ltd. needed to streamline its logistical operations, to reduce the cost, time and error associated with inventory handling processes. The company, which packs and ships half-ton bundles of steel profiles to customers around the world, used hand-written codes to identify the large bundles, placing them wherever space was available in its warehouses. As a consequence, locating the right bundles for each shipment required significant staff time and effort and increased the probability of making high-cost shipping errors.
- Viraj Profiles Ltd. used a three-step approach to bring transparency and efficiency to critical logistical processes. In the first phase of the project, company staff divided warehouse space into individually RFID tagged zones to bring order to product storage.
- In the first phase of the project, company staff divided warehouse space into individually RFID tagged zones to bring order to product storage.
- Next, employees tagged all of the bundles with ShortDipole™ UHF RFID tags, which were printed with serial numbers to enable rapid visual identification. Bundle tag data for each location was combined with location tag data to create a complete picture of inventory stored in each zone of the warehouse.
- Employees then used Psion Teklogix’s Workabout Pro handheld RFID readers to scan bundles, uploading data to the main server by docking readers at a warehouse computer.
- By using an RFID solution ideal for the industrial environment Viraj Profiles Ltd. was able to automate its logistics and has increased inventory visibility to 99 percent at all times.
- The number of errors due to manual processes were significantly reduced.
- Locating and processing the heavy stainless steel bundles now takes a single hour, rather the 12 hours it required prior to the RFID implementation.
- The company is able to process and ship 20 percent more merchandise than it was able to without RFID technology.
- Bundle packing lists generated by the company’s SAP system provide detailed information, including up-to-date location data and serial numbers for all products.
- Viraj Profiles achieved full return on investment (ROI) a mere six months after deploying its RFID system.